A Quality Roof Over Your Head
Owning a home comes with a myriad of responsibilities. You need to stay on top of a whole host of projects, appliances, and more. It can be easy to let things fall through the cracks, especially things that you don’t see every single day, even if you use them every single day. One such area that can go through quite a beating is the roof. Even if you don’t think about it every single day, if you have regularly scheduled inspections and repairs on the books, you’ll have a structure that lasts. More than that, you’ll have options when your roof reaches the end of it’s lifespan. You may be able to choose between re-roofing or a roof replacement for your Grain Valley and Kansas City, MO property. To learn more, contact United Roofing Services at 816-896-4195 today.
Roof Replacement vs. Re-Roofing
There will come a point for every homeowner when they have to decide between asphalt shingle repair and other services such as replacement or re-roofing. What’s the difference? Well with repairs, you are paying for a contractor to fix certain areas or problems of your roof. With a replacement or re-roofing service, you are getting quite a bit more. Of course, it will come down to cost and ultimately what is needed. Just like you would compare a traditional water heater installation with a tankless water heater installation, you’ll need to compare a roof replacement with a re-roofing service.
What does roof replacement mean? Replacing a roof is the process of stripping an entire roof down to the decking. A roofing contractor will then go through to install a new roofing structure of your choice. Whether that is asphalt shingles, tiles, or any other roofing material. Why would you choose a roof replacement? You’ll need a replacement for reasons such as:
- There is more than one layer of shingles on your roof
- It’s been damaged by a storm
- Problems with the decking
- The shingles are simply in poor condition
Roof replacement costs can get very expensive, very quickly which is why so many homeowners are hesitant to follow through with these services. However, there are many instances when replacing your roof will be more cost-efficient than the alternative.
When it comes to residential roofing, re-roofing a house means the process of layering and installing a new layer of shingles over your existing roof. So instead of removing your roof completely and installing a new structure, the contractor will just add a new protective layer. When is this the ideal choice?
- Your roof is older, but still in relatively good condition
- There may be the concern of leaks, but there is no significant water damage
- Your roof needs a refresh
The re roofing costs are almost always going to be cheaper than replacement costs. That’s where many homeowners get lured in, but don’t be fooled! If there are real and serious things wrong with your roof, a re-roofing service will not fix the problem. It will only mask it until the problem gets even worse. Additionally, many homeowners get the impression they can do a re-roofing by themselves. While you can research how to re roof a house, it’s best to leave it to the professionals when it comes to your roof.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does it cost to replace a roof?
- The final costs will depend on a number of things such as the size of your home, the type of material chosen, and more. That in mind, on average homeowners, will generally spend $7,000 or more on a complete roof replacement.
- What is included in a roof replacement?
- A variety of services and solutions are included in a roof replacement. Of course, you’ll get a new roofing material installed, but you’ll also get new flashing, sealing, drip edging, ice damming prevention, and more. You can discuss all the services offered by your roofing contractor.
- What does re roof a house mean?
- Re-roofing a home refers to the process of adding an additional layer of roofing to an existing structure. This means if your roof is still in relatively good condition years after the initial installation, you may not need to replace the complete structure. Instead, you may be able to get away with re-roofing sections.
- How often should a roof be replaced on a house?
- Most composite and asphalt shingles have a life-span of about 20-25 years. Since these shingles are under constant sun exposure, use, and more, they need to be replaced every 12-18 years. This will ensure a roof that lasts and provides effective coverage.
- What’s the difference between a re roof and a new roof?
- With a new roof, the entire structure is stripped down to the decking and replaced with newer, fresh materials. With a re-roof, the original material is left alone and a new layer of roofing is applied overtop. That’s ultimately the biggest difference between the two.
Schedule a Consultation With Us Today
If you are interested in a roof replacement for a Grain Valley and Kansas City, MO home, give United Roofing Services a call. We’re available at 816-896-4195 right now!