When Should I Replace My Shingles?
As a homeowner who has an asphalt shingle roof, you want to make sure that it lasts a long time. Our roofs are important for not only keeping us safe and comfortable, but from keeping inclement weather and outside elements from entering your home. So how long does a shingle roof last? The typical lifespan for an asphalt shingle roof is going to be 20 years or 25 years depending on how well cared for the roof was. Once a shingle roof hits the 20 to 25 year mark, its important to consider asphalt shingles installation. While the age of a roof is a good indicator that a roof replacement is needed, there are other reasons that make a roof replacement necessary. Here are some of the most common reasons you need an asphalt shingle roof replacement.
- Curled Shingles: Do curling shingles need to be replaced? The answer is yes. Curled shingles are when the edges of the shingles curl up. Why do roof shingles curl? The reason shingles curl is because of the age of the roof, improper ventilation, or inadequate installation.
- Lifted Shingles: If shingles are starting to lift up, then a replacement will be needed. Why do roof shingles lift? Shingles lift up because of not nailing them down properly, severe winds, or a buildup of debris or moss growth getting under the asphalt shingles.
- Rotting Shingles: Rotting shingles is when the material starts to rot. This can happen due to shingles being broken or missing, or mold growing on the shingles.
- Damaged Roof Flashing: The actual asphalt shingles don’t need to be damaged or missing for a roof replacement to be needed. Other areas on your roof, such as the roof flashing, can become damaged and cause leaks to form in your roof.
- Improper Installation: Asphalt shingles installation that isn’t done correctly can lead to a complete roof replacement. It is so important that when you get asphalt shingles installation you contact a licensed and insured roofer.
Asphalt Shingles Vs Metal Roof
When your asphalt shingle roof is beyond repair, it is important to get a new roofing system. If your roof is eligible for a replacement, you can either stick with the same roofing material or go with a new one. Asphalt shingles are the most popular residential roofing material, but another roofing material that is popular is a metal roof. Choosing between the two of them can be hard, but going over their benefits can help you make a decision.
Asphalt Shingles Advantages
If you are considering an asphalt shingles installation, its important to know what the benefits are. One of the biggest advantages of an asphalt shingle roof is that it is very versatile. This type of roof comes in a wide range of colors and styles, so you can choose asphalt shingles that will go with the aesthetic of your home. Another great thing about asphalt shingles is that they are the most affordable roofing material for residential roofs. Other great things about asphalt shingle roofs are that they are sustainable, durable, and they are easy to install. A downside about asphalt shingles is that they only last 20 to 25 years.
Metal Roof Advantages
Metal roofs, while traditionally known as a commercial roofing material, have become more popular for homes. The reason for this is because this type of roof lasts a long time; depending on the metal that is used, a metal roof can last anywhere from 50 to 70 years. If you like the look of traditional roofs like slate, wood shake, or tile but don’t want to spend that much, metal roofs can mimic the look of those types of roofs. Another thing that homeowners love about metal roofs is that they are durable, eco-friendly, energy-efficient, and very safe. Unlike asphalt shingle roofs, metal roofs are going to be a lot more expensive.
Asphalt Shingles Installation Process
Asphalt Shingles Installation Cost
If you have decided on asphalt shingles for your home, you might be wondering what the process is like for asphalt shingles installation. Its actually done rather quickly and is a lot easier than most roof installations. The first thing that will need to be done is to find the asphalt shingles that you want for your roof. Once the asphalt shingles have been chosen, the old shingles will need to be removed. After the shingles are removed, the roof will need to be cleaned and have new underlayment and flashing installed. When the roof is clean and the underlayment and flashing have been installed, the roof shingles and then the ridge shingles can be installed.
The cost for asphalt shingles installation is going to depend on a couple of factors. First, the cost will depend on if you want 3-tab shingles or architectural shingles, the size of your roof, as well as the labor cost. The average cost for asphalt shingles installation will probably be at least $6,000, but the cost of installation can range from $2,000 to even $10,000. If you are interested in asphalt shingles installation in Grain Valley and Kansas City, MO, call United Roofing Services! We have a wide range of asphalt shingles to choose from. Just like you wouldn’t call just anyone for tile and grout cleaning, you wouldn’t call just anyone to install asphalt shingle roofing. For more information, contact us at 816-228-1158.